Friday 15 July 2016

Wonders of Play

Wonders of play amaze me all the time. Little Kian (name changed) came in as a passive kid with his head hung low most of the times. He would submissively engage in activities, start and finish them following the therapist.

His obedience at times made me feel frustrated. My goal sheet was getting achieved (he was learning to make two word templates, his sustenance was increasing, and he was also becoming more aware of his surroundings) but my anxiety was increasing at the same time. His passive approach was dull. This is not how one can be. He is born to smile and enjoy. He must explore new things and find his likes and dislikes, passion and struggles. As I sat to make the next set of goals for him, I brainstormed with my boss, as to what next. There was something amiss.

Kian is moving towards becoming active and aware of his surroundings. He is more aware about the people surrounding him, noticing movement, people coming in, or leaving the room while he is playing in the session. But he would not look and had no idea that he can make a choice and express his opinion.

The next goal I wrote was- Kian will be more aware of people around him (his therapists) and he will also be mindful of activities he is engaged in. He will be an ACTIVE PARTICIPANT in connect to his environment, and people around. It is usual that we use the strategy of choice making for a passive kid.

As I went on to understand the Autism specific to Kian, after repeated discussions and joining dots of how the session flows my boss said, “Kian needs to know that he can have an opinion.” This touched my heart, and now I exactly knew how to approach him, and even guide other therapists across sessions for integration, as it would lead to holistic growth for the child. We started giving him opportunities to make a choice out of few games and toys. We give him clear narrations to know that he can ask, and make a choice.  His facial expressions started becoming freer and less restricted. He smiles often to the therapist now. With increasing opportunities, he has now started to initiate a game and therapist joins in and builds up interactivity. This also helps Kian sustain on an activity that he has chosen. Intensive therapy in the month of June worked wonders. He has started expressing his choices across a range of material. His father shared that earlier he would eat whatever we gave him. But now, he spits the food out, if he doesn’t like it. I loved the smile on his dad’s face. Kian is finally opening up to become aware how who Kian is, what he likes and what he doesn’t like.

I love it, now when he is happy choosing and playing what he wants to play. He laughs out loud. I also love it when he gets angry on something, pushes things away or tells me in his own unique way, I don’t like this. Yeyeye!!!

Yes, we will now be working on refining his communication skills and integrating his existing skills with the new found Kian.

I am so happy. I just love the wonders of “Eye to I”.






8 comments:

  1. "kids are entitled to have an opinion" even if it differs from adults around. Totally loved the idea Kanica! Great read! Wonderful Insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! Thankyou for penning it down Kanica! Yes a opinion of there own , the astonishment each one of them has that ' oh what's this , I'm being allowed somee freedom of speech ' oh that expression. Little kian is too cute and I'm sure wil soon become his naughty little self :)- a CHILD :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Priyani, for taking out time to read the blog and share your views. Yes we shall together work on him becoming naughty :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. True, freedom is realising that your have a choice. Good work team!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!the way you understand kian problem, and working dedicatedly like your own is sign of humanity. Surely bring more magnificent result in future. all the best

    ReplyDelete