Thursday 14 July 2016

Work and Play

I am a Child Psychologist, working with children with special needs for last few years now.

After completing my post-graduation, I have been working with a private organisation engaging in therapy with children with ASD, Down's Syndrome, Learning disorders, ADHD, Cerebral Palsy, social anxiety etc. I have had a major experience in working with children with ASD, from ages 1.5 years showing red flags, early intervention with children for ages 3-5 years, for diagnosis to 16 years of age.

My work profile involves taking one on one sessions with children working on their intention to communicate, purposes of communication like asking, sharing of emotions, sharing information, leisure time interaction etc. pre-speech skills- , babbles, jargon, sounds etc, language (words, phrases and sentences); communication with others (verbal and non-verbal); expressions and sharing of emotions, emotional regulation, executive functions, and group therapy with 3-8 children.

I am skilled in working with toddlers since I enjoy working with them the most. We use play as a medium of work with children. The philosophy is all about playing with the kid with ASD to connect to the play partner, and then coming closer to knowing one’s own self.

Play is the most exciting part of my work. I have seen play working wonderfully with children with ASD. In the last two years, play has enhanced my personality for good. I have become more confident of myself, now am more comfortable while using my body space etc. Play excites me, as I enjoy everything about it. It compels me to think out of the box to create play of the smallest of and not so obvious things, for example, thermocol balls, sand, water; boxes etc. Through play I have been able to break my inhibitions and enjoy myself in the last two years. It gave me the joy of being me.

I am excited to research the powerful positive impact of play with different populations.
Eager to explore, study and learn more and more

2 comments:

  1. Creating a quality difference in lives of parents and children through play, you are an inspiration kanica! Keep working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement!! Definitely :)

    ReplyDelete